Updated: Dec 18, 2019
Beauty By Neeks
Holiday Glam Tips
The holidays are a wonderful opportunity to be a little more daring than usual with your makeup looks! A good start to any gorgeous glam is a clean and nourished base- so it’s no surprise that we’ve included some key things to consider while prepping your skin for winter makeup looks.
Holiday Care Tips
· Hydration is key any of time of year, but around the holidays we tend to pass up the H2O for eggnog, wine, holiday lattes, and other indulgent beverages. Drinking water helps our system flush out toxins. This keeps our skin clean, pushing out bacteria and reducing the risk of unwanted breakouts.
2. Exfoliate your skin
· Exfoliation has many benefits- if you haven’t incorporated exfoliation into your weekly skin regime, the holidays would be the perfect time to do so as we tend to use more makeup products than usual and the climate we live in is super dry!
· Exfoliation unclogs pores, prevents acne, evens skin tone, boosts circulation and lymphatic drainage. It will also help you get your $$ worth in skin products by letting them penetrate deeper into your skin!
· Don’t forget your lips and brows. Regular exfoliation on these areas will let product go on wayyy smoother and just make you feel amazing in general.
· DIY lip exfoliator: Mix 1 TSP honey with 2TSP sugar. Massage into your lips and leave on for 10 minutes before rinsing off.
3. Adjust your skin care routine!
Is your skin care routine and product geared towards a dryer, cold climate like ours? Do you know your skin type and concerns?
· One of the most important ways to take care of your skin is to protect it from the sun. A lifetime of sun exposure can cause wrinkles, age spots and increase the risk of skin cancer- yes even in the winter.
· Consistency is key! Stick to the products that work for you as it takes time to see real results. Also don’t let those products stay on your counter for too long without use- make sure you are using them before they expire.
4. Invest in a Humidifier
· There are many general health benefits to having a humidifier around during our winters. Moisture escapes from our skin in cold, dry air. A humidifier can prevent all of these damaging effects and help you maintain that glowing, vibrant look for all your holiday parties and get-togethers.
5. Try to sleep well.
· Lack of sleep not only makes us feel crummy, it makes our skin look tired too. Bags under the eyes look sallower, our energy is low and we are more likely to load up on caffeine to get through the day- which only dehydrates us further.
6. Managing your stress
· We know that the holidays can be a wonderful and very stressful time for us. Especially when we are running around trying to make everything as perfect as can be for our loved ones. We also know that stress weakens our immune system and can cause multiple issues for our health including exacerbating many skin conditions like acne, eczema, psoriasis and rosacea. If you are stressed out think about some things within your control you can make changes to.
Recommended beauty products for the holiday season
· A personal favourite of ours, and a product that is always in our kit for very sensitive skin. This cream plumps up your skin and helps it retain moisture with its nutritive properties. It can be used as a base for makeup, a moisturizer, or a beauty mask and is recommended by many dermatologists and makeup artists.
· This miracle product is effective for all skin types! It helps for dryness, uneven skin tone, and fine lines and wrinkles. This Virgin Marula oil is pure, clean and cruelty free and works wonderfully alone or underneath product!
· This foundation comes in 30 shades and enriched with hydrating argan oil and centella asiatica to keep formula from settling into any fine lines or rough patches- ideal for our ‘berta winter!
4. Dewy Setting Sprays
o Keeps makeup looking gorgeous for up to 16 hours with Temperature Control technology- even in hot & humid or cold & windy conditions.
5. Up the ante with some Glitter*
The holidays are a perfect time to step out of your comfort zone and try something bold! A little glitter goes a long way and is a perfect addition to up the glam- factor!
o This product is very pigmented, so a little goes a long way and there are 17 varieties to choose from! No transfer or fall out, so you can’t go wrong! Moreover, it comes with an applicator right in the packaging so it is very easy to apply.